Spring time in Boston might be the best time of the year. As the temperatures rise, you can expect to see the city come out of it’s cold winter thaw; sailboats soaking up the sun on the Charles, Landsdowne Street coming alive when our World Champion Boston Red Sox are in town, patio decks Read […]
We spent our Thanksgiving moving heavy furniture up and down our stairs. We had planned on using our futon when we moved and getting rid of the dual recliner La-Z-Boy loveseat that we have been using. The futon is much lighter than the loveseat and would have been much easier to move. We decided that […]
50 MOVING HACKS AND TIPS
Moving is one of those things where what you know really does make a difference. There are literally hundreds of tips and moving hacks out there that can make a massive difference in how smoothly things go. Here are fifty of the latest and greatest moving hacks to make your transition an easy one:
50 Moving Tips and Hacks
1,. Make sure you write the room AND the contents on the exterior of the box.
2. Assign one or two people in the know to give out directions. These are the folks that are directing traffic and making sure boxes go where they are intended.
3. Invest in a secure lock box that you can place all valuables like jewelry and heirlooms. Keep this with you or put away during the move.
4. Make a bag or box of must have items for moving day that is easily identifiable. A clear plastic box works great. This can contain all those things you must have on a regular basis and can’t afford to lose. This is your “Essentials Box!”
5. Use clothing to wrap up and pad your breakables. It cuts down on packing space.
Color Code Your Boxes – Examples Colored Tape and Stickers
6. When you pack your boxes, use different colors of duct tape to help identify where it goes. (red tape for the master bedroom,black for the bathroom, etc)
7. Clean and scrub the new residence before you ever begin your move. The last thing you will feel like doing after moving is scrubbing the toilet.
8. Invest in a moving company. Though you save a few bucks using your buddies, you don’t want to be the one to cause damage. Just pay the cash and move it all in one shot.
9. Shoot pictures of your electronics with a digital camera to be sure you hook them up quickly at the new residence.
10. Be packed and ready on moving day if you are packing yourself. Don’t leave things for the last minute when movers show up.
Use Styrofoam Plates Between Breakable Plates and Saran Wrap Utensilis in Trays – Examples Above
11. Packing your kitchen utensils can be a breeze by using saran wrap to cover them as is. Simply leave them in the tray and wrap them up.
12. Put plates vertical in boxes to help keep them safe. Plenty of padding is needed either way but they are much less likely to break. Another great idea is using styrofoam in between horizontal plates to prevent breakage.
13. Enlist grandparents or someone trustworthy to take the pets and kids for moving day. These things do not mix well with moving at all.
14. Contact charities in your area well before moving day and have them pick up all donations. It will take that off your plate movers also offer it.
15. Have food and drink prepared for the movers if they are friends and family. People that are well fed and hydrated are much more likely to want to help.
Organize Electric Cords with Toilet Paper Tubes – Example from Storage and Glee
16. Tie all cords that go to one electronic device together so that it can be easily found later. Ziploc bag them together or use toilet paper tubes to seperate them in a box. Be sure to clearly label them as well.
17. Group hanging clothes in sets of three or four and cover them by putting a trash bag over them. Simply poke the hanger top through the center of the closed end and you have a garment bag on the cheap.
18. Leverage Ebay and Craigslist and every other selling possibility as far in advance as possible of the move. Downsizing is your friend.
19. Make a toolbox (you should probably already have one) that is loaded with all the things you need to break things down and build things. This should be in your car at all times for quick retrieval.
20. Use styrofoam plates in between your good plates to pad them neatly and easily.
Fill Nail Holes with Bar Soap – Example from Joyfully Home
21. Use white soap to fill in all the little holes from pictures and so on.
22. Stock up at the ABC store on boxes. The beer and liquor boxes you use will be the best boxes you can find for breakables and knick knacks. Leave the inserts in for the tiny stuff. Also check out these ideas for FREE Boxes.
23. Invest in the moving tools. Get a dolly, hand trucks and anything else you can get your hands on. It is worth the investment.
24. Ball up your socks and use them as padding in the gaps of boxes. This can really help to prevent items from bouncing around inside of the boxes during the move.
25. Begin packing in the kitchen. This is where the really complicated items are and the ones you should knock out first. (Just try packing a mixer)
Screw Bolts in the Same Bag – Example No Four what we may never know
26. Put screws and other small parts that go to something broken down into sandwich bags that are sealable for the trip, or screw them back into place.
27. Use your moving and packing as a chance to purge everything that is no longer fitting or used. Toss it or donate it.
28. Stop grocery shopping a couple weeks out and work to clean out the fridge and cabinets. Starting fresh makes good sense in a new home.
29. Take a box and pack up all of your warranties and paperwork related to items.
30. Take digital photos of all serial numbers and so on for important items that are insured. The last thing you want is to be caught without such information and needing it.
Garbage Bag Clothes Together – Example from Instagram Manda_Gee
31. Use garbage bags for all your clothing. When you put the clothes in boxes, it helps keep them toghether and hang back up easier. I suggest you color code to identify rooms.
32. Defrost your refrigerator well in advance of moving day. If it has ice build up it will leak on your furniture.
33. Have each family member pack for a two week vacation. This will ensure they have what they need to make it while the unpacking process begins.
34. Level one, two or three? Mark your boxes based on how quickly you anticipate needing the items within.
35. Keep in mind that boxes should never exceed forty pounds unless absolutely necessary. This can speed up the moving process considerably and keep from killing your help too.
36. Write a schedule well in advance of the move that lays out when and how you will pack each room. This will keep you on point and ensure you are not hit with a ton of moving work the day of.
37. Order or make some stickers that have your new address on them and keep them in your wallet or purse. They will be life savers when you have to begin changing your address with businesses and mail.
38. When you arrive in your new home, fully set up a room that you particularly enjoy so you have someplace to relax. Most people like it to be the bedroom so that they are sure of a good night’s sleep.
39. Add handles to as many boxes as possible by poking or cutting them. Be sure the boxes are strong enough cardboard to do so.
40. Use pillows and stuffed animals to pad things and keep them safe from breaking.
Tape Mirrors to Prevent Breaks – Example from Martha Stewart
41. Tape mirrors and other breakables with tape to absorb the shock.
42. Use strong tape to make sure hinged doors and drawers don’t slide out during the move. Some folks take out the drawers and so on as well.
43. Use plastic wrap to close up lightweight drawers and the like.
44. Make a toolbox for nothing but packing materials. This will be very useful when you need to find something quickly. Staying organized makes a big difference.
45. The box within a box method is a good idea for things that are especially breakable. Double box when you are unsure about safety.
46. Use empty toilet paper rolls to carry your costume jewelry like bracelets, chains and necklaces. they can be connected around the tubes and kept neat fairly easily. Egg cartons work great too!
47. Save the drawers for lightweight stuff like socks, scarves and things of that nature.
48. Take regular breaks as you move. The last thing you want to do is wear them out and then find yourself alone on moving day.
49. Invest in helpers if you see you are not going to have enough help. The money will be well spent and you will not be nearly as stressed.
50. Celebrate your first day in your home by having a luxurious dinner out! You worked hard so let someone else take care of you for an hour or two!
And after you move, Unpacking the Sega 3D Best to get started
Moving could represent a need, a choice, a great and exciting idea, fresh air in your life – but it could also reveal an unexpected side and a real training for your body and mind. Here’s my personal – and a bit crazy- experience. It is never too early to start preparing your baggage and boxes, because the last […]
Just because you are buying a house on your own doesn’t mean you have to face the process alone. The American household has changed — big time. More people are marrying later in life, if at all. Some are going from coupled-up to solo and back again multiple times throughout their lives, while others prefer […]
Best Moving Company In Dallas is the go to place for all your specialty moving and delivery needs. We have been providing professional moving services for over 10 years. Our Moving Company In Dallas Texas is dedicated in local and long distance moving of house, commercial and piano relocations. Our certified movers are always standing by to handle any move you may have. No job is too large for our dedicated team to undertake for you. We enjoy helping people move up in today’s world. We provide clean, secure storage that is protected to insure the safety of your belongings. Storage is available for one piece or your full home. Our professional personnel are available to perform all or part of your packing needs. If you wish to do your own packing, we have a complete range of packing equipment that are specifically considered for the safe of packing of your personal belongings. That can be delivered to your door.
If you or your Company needs the Best Movers serving Dallas TX area trust the professionals. Call Now
Dallas, TX 75204